join our community today!

Home Page Home Page  [ 3 posts ] 
  Print view | E-mail friend
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Internet problems.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:44 am 
Gold Member

Yo lads.
Been having internet issues for a while. Internet has something been slowing down, we recently changed router though and so far I haven't noticed it doing so, so we'll see.

The odd problem though is my latency (As people I've played TTS with a while ago might have noticed.) Sometimes, without the internet showing the speed going down or anything, it just goes the **** wrong, completely fucking up. It seems to only affect the upload, as I can still hear people through skype or teamspeak just fine. I've only got 1mb/s up, so that might be it, but it has happened when I'm the only one awake too and I'm doing anything too intense, just playing an online game, and it only happens for a few minutes until it settles down again.

We've changed router several times, we changed the switch, and we've changed the tp cable going across the attic to my room. (It felt like the problem was solved at first when we changed the tp cable, but it started up again a few days after I think.)

Our ISP is Telia. I've tried googling but haven't really seen any straight answers. I saw someone mentioning to turn of the firewall, so I've tried doing that and haven't noticed anything yet, but I haven't really done anything where I would notice it. Other thing I saw was that it might be the network card of my pc? Might be possible I guess, I only know the latency thing to affect me, but my parents don't really do anything where it would be noticed though, and it's so random when it happens so I can't really test it. When the internet slowed down atleast it happened on my dads laptop too when I tested it with cable etc.

The same problem, or atleast something sort of like it, has happened to two neighbours too. One who had the same ISP as me, but I don't think he still lives here, and another who has a different ISP but that says that he doesn't notice the problem anymore and he doesn't know what fixed it. I think he has a higher mb/s up than us though.

We had a technician here recently who ran some tests and said he didn't see anything wrong, and that we should just change the router (which we did.) And that if the problems persist we'll get some other technician here to look at the cables or whatever.

But yeah, anyone recognize any of this ****? It's really fucking tiring. It just seems so odd to me that it only happens sometimes, and just for a little while. It only seems to happen between like six at night until x hours later too. Or well, I haven't noticed it earlier, but I suppose that might have to do with me not really playing much that early in the day.

edit; I posted it in the troubleshooting for streaming, but **** it

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Internet problems.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:25 pm 
Regular

It only happening between something like 18:00-23:00 hints at the ISP being overburdened, since that's usually ISP rush hour with people coming home from work. Depending on the ISP, a higher upload speed may help (getting you high priority during heavy loads) or you could try a different ISP, though other ISPs may have similar issues of course. I'm only guessing here though, so put too much weight on this being the actual cause.

Things like cabling (within your house at least) sound unlikely if it's fine most of the day, and firewall/other software related advice here is Indian-following-support-manual-tier.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Internet problems.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:39 am 
Gold Member

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the time, as it happened now (04:38)
Turning off the fire wall didn't help either.

Report this post

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 3 posts ]