Welcome
Welcome to the dopelives.com forums.

http://dopelives.com/

Register or log in.

join our community today!

Home Page Home Page  [ 6 posts ] 
  Print view | E-mail friend
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: [Game] King of Dragon Pass (PC)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:02 am 
Gold Member

Info from wikipedia:

King of Dragon Pass is a 1999 computer game published by A Sharp. Set in the fictional world of Glorantha, it depicts the lives and fortunes of one of several barbarian clans, settling the untamed lands of Dragon Pass over the course of several decades. The clans bear some similarities, such as fyrds and lawspeakers, to the Iron Age Nordic peoples.

The most distinctive features of the game are its greatest oddities. KoDP contains no animation whatsoever, instead depicting people and events with lavish hand-drawn artwork. The game's genre is somewhat unclassifiable and anachronistic — it has elements of strategy, construction and management simulation, and role-playing, even though it offers no proper alter ego.

Gameplay:
The player controls the seven-member clan ring leading the clan, providing leadership to the clan in all aspects of its life from rituals to diplomacy. The ring can make two macro-level decisions per each of the five seasons in the Gloranthan year. Random events are drawn from a pool of hundreds and are often influenced by previous decisions. In battle, the player determines the goals and preparations, and possibly chooses the actions of his nobles at pivotal moments.

To succeed, a player must balance the various needs of survival and prospering, as well as manage the problems presented by the setting or the clan individuals - a lack of food might be solvable by clearing more farmland, but when the forest responds by sending a talking fox to urge leaving the trees alone, a wrong choice could bring the clan hunters to war with their environment. Likewise, should a member of the clan act in a selfish and foolish manner, action needs to be taken to stabilize and defuse the situation, if necessary.

Why do I want it streamed?
The game is filled with random events across a long span of time and can therefore be unpredictable, but also very fun. The game requires patience though, so a streamer like Dope would be out of the question. Suitepee would probably be better for streaming this as he likes to take his time and also read to the viewers what the screen actually says.

The positive side about this game is that you've got a million different decisions to make and therefore gives the viewers a opportunity to voice their opinions, yay democracy.
The negative side may be that it won't be going in a quick enough pace, making it boring.

Just speculations right now of course, i'd like some input from someone else who has tried this game out.

Where to get it: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3494759 ... by_A_Sharp

Report this post

Post subject: Re: [Game] King of Dragon Pass (PC)
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:53 pm 
Gold Member

Bumping this as i've tried it and it's a fucking awesome game, though a little hard to start playing as there's a tutorial but it doesn't exactly ease you into the game. Bit like x-com where you basically just start playing and figure out things as you go.

Would be a very good game to get chat involved I think, would end up a stream along the same lines as advance wars or hogs of war.

Did I mention I hate my life? I hate my life.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:06 pm 
Gold Member

Ramstrong wrote:
Bumping this as i've tried it and it's a fucking awesome game, though a little hard to start playing as there's a tutorial but it doesn't exactly ease you into the game. Bit like x-com where you basically just start playing and figure out things as you go.

Would be a very good game to get chat involved I think, would end up a stream along the same lines as advance wars or hogs of war.

Yeah, hence why I suggest Suitepee to play it. He interacts with the chat more than any other streamer and I think he's the only one that would be able to handle this game otherwise as well, seeing as the entire game is text based and a lot of reading would have to be done.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:11 pm 
Gold Member

Curse you Kreggur for getting me addicted to this ;)

If Suite doesn't do it maybe soulsilver, ska or nooya will. Maybe even dope as he does x-com but then again we all know he's not particularily patient.

Did I mention I hate my life? I hate my life.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:54 am 
Gold Member

SoulSilver would also be a good choice, yeah. He did Gazillionaire Deluxe well and this is pretty similar in terms of gameplay.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

I downloaded and tried this out, it's... I don't know.

It could do a good stream, maybe.

http://dopelives.com

Report this post

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 6 posts ]