Register or log in.

join our community today!

Home Page Home Page  [ 16 posts ] 
  Print view | E-mail friend
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Not watching streams
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:16 am 
Gold Member

So the other night I had a bit of a cry about people being more interested in chat than actually watching stream. Now admittedly the way I did it was a bit unprofessional and unhelped by a lack of sleep but it is still a topic of concern.

Now while time of day is a factor it does kind of make me wonder about a few things.

Do people just want background noise?

Are less people interested in interacting with streamers?

Am I actually live or accidently muted myself and people dont know/care?

Or more worrying people don't actually want to watch myself of whoever is on and are too lazy to give feedback as to why?

Case in point with myself the other day streaming Killer is Dead with people not responding to me when I ask/mention something, the chat argues about perfume I get involved with it and still get no response.

Kinda feels like with above nobody gives a **** about streams and or the streamer. Myself in particular streams are more fun for all when people interact.

A bit tldr but replace perfume with any topic.

Thoughts guys or is it just people think I'm having a cry and its time to stop streaming?

Current List

Space Crusade Atari ST, Icewind Dale 2 PC,Terranigma SNES, Persona 3:FES PS2 , Crusader: No Regret, Star Control 2 PC, Yakuza 4, Yakuza: Dead Souls, Quest for Glory 1-5

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Soulsilvatdope

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Not watching streams
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:19 pm 
Gold Member

I've found this happening a bit more recently as well.

I can only assume that streams are sometimes background noise while people do other stuff UNTIL something particularly interesting happens, or if the streamer asks a good question of the chat. Perhaps the game itself can sometimes contribute to this, and/or how long said streamer has played the game they're on.

Either that or we're fast becoming Dullfish_Lives, and need to start keeping up with the youth of today! :mrgreen:

Ex-Dopelives Livestreamer 2009-2016 (I finally beat HOGS!)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/JohnSuitepee
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnSuitepee
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

I feel like this has always been the case, we are a community based around a stream, but the chat isn't always stream-chat. Especially when you stream something that's not super engaging, but a fair bit otherwise as well.

I do feel like we've perhaps dropped a bit in overall viewcount recently, perhaps we should start advertising wider.

http://dopelives.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:06 pm 
Regular

What if the problem is the content and not the audience
who knows man it is a mystery

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:40 pm 
Regular

Chat will interact when and if it wants to. It is the way of things. Some streams will be dead chat, just play your videogame until one of those crazy stream addicts like Holkin who watch everything shows up.

If you need a viewerbase for whatever you are about to stream hype it up beforehand, tell chat before you go live and see if anyone even wants a stream. And if you see like 2 people saying "Id watch" dont expect anything much.

Nothings changed recently in my opinion, chat is faggots, the end.

Spoiler:

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:27 pm 
Gold Member

[quote="SoulSilver"]So the other night I had a bit of a cry about people being more interested in chat than actually watching stream. Now admittedly the way I did it was a bit unprofessional and unhelped by a lack of sleep but it is still a topic of concern.

Now while time of day is a factor it does kind of make me wonder about a few things.

Do people just want background noise?

Are less people interested in interacting with streamers?

Am I actually live or accidently muted myself and people dont know/care?

Or more worrying people don't actually want to watch myself of whoever is on and are too lazy to give feedback as to why?

Case in point with myself the other day streaming Killer is Dead with people not responding to me when I ask/mention something, the chat argues about perfume I get involved with it and still get no response.

Kinda feels like with above nobody gives a **** about streams and or the streamer. Myself in particular streams are more fun for all when people interact.

A bit tldr but replace perfume with any topic.

Thoughts guys or is it just people think I'm having a cry and its time to stop streaming?

I've enjoyed the RoN streams lately, and I personally put them as backround noise, but I also pay attention to it, two monitors is fun. That being said, when you jump around doing DoS or Amiga games I tend to lose interest. Given your timeslot you usually stream at fairly dead timezones might be contributing. You also tend to play games that don't really ask for much chat interaction either.

[quote="Suitepee"]I've found this happening a bit more recently as well.

I can only assume that streams are sometimes background noise while people do other stuff UNTIL something particularly interesting happens, or if the streamer asks a good question of the chat. Perhaps the game itself can sometimes contribute to this, and/or how long said streamer has played the game they're on.

Either that or we're fast becoming Dullfish_Lives, and need to start keeping up with the youth of today! :mrgreen:

!lastplayed -1 Suitepee
-GoaLitiuM- 16d 22h 30min 26sec ago, Suítepee played TES- Morrowind (PC) for 2h 43min 23sec
14 days ago.. dang
!lastplayed -2 Suitepee
-GoaLitiuM- 17d 2h 59min 9sec ago, Suítepee played TES- Morrowind (PC) for 2h 59min 27sec
!lastplayed -3 Suitepee
Fgw_wolf: 19d 23h 19min 48sec ago, Suítepee played TES- Morrowind (PC) for 1h 53min 24sec

Do I really need to even say this? You're one of my favorite streamers suitepee and I enjoy TES games but holy good god damn I'm sick of morrowind. I miss when you did interesting horror games and other random ****. Having a project is fine, doing nothing but that project forever is horrible, your problem is really the opposite of soul's.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:46 am 
Regular

There's only like 2-3 streamers I'll watch play games I don't like. And there's a lot of games I don't like, and even less games I want to see streamed.

There's also been a lot of boring-*** games streamed lately.

Bit of a twat.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:58 am 

I speak for most of the chat when i say **** interaction I'd rather smoke weed.

No seriously half the chat doesn't even watch the stream ever. Its just their deal.

FUCK Ga Mes Smok Weed

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:31 pm 
Gold Member

I usually have it as an inbetween of watching intently and background noise when I play other games, unless it's something I'm really interested in. I think it depends a lot on who is streaming what, and personally I don't enjoy Amiga stuff anymore, and it doesn't really call for any sort of engaging.

It might also be that a lot of regulars are regulars because of community or just plain routine and don't care about streams. I know I feel that way sometimes

I do Bass covers of stuff sometimes (http://www.youtube.com/user/GreenMiscreant)

"But won't that scare the kids?"
"There's nothing wrong with scaring kids!"

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:59 pm 
Gold Member

First of all, stream times. Usually I dont catch your streams soul or I am half asleep when watching them, and I dont feel the need to comment on everything you do, even more so when sleepy.

And secondly, there is a huge difference between streamers and thier content. When Soul does a mix of different Amiga games that change every 10 minutes I enjoy it, but usually I do something else while watching, like playing games myself. If there is chat interaction I would be more active, but then again time and game play into this to huge amounts. Dont worry, people are watching, I think its just that you are pretty unlucky livin in the land down under and stream when viewernumbers are eh.

Another thing is that some streamers have begun to try too hard to force interaction and others go on and on and on and on about **** that has nothing to do with the game and is the same topic every stream, its painful to watch or even just listen to. This is mostly caused by the fucking content stagnation Fag_wolf mentioned.

I mean, I enjoy a good Suitepee stream and Morrowind is a great project, but doing EVERY FUCKING GUILD on stream? While you havent even so much as touched the addons or finished the main game for that matter? I can comment on the cliff racers 4 times, but after the 23rd time my brain just kinda dies and I drool onto the keyboard.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:41 am 
Gold Member

I hope you don't quit streaming Soul, you've done some really great streams in the past. I'm personally not into Killer is Dead though and I already saw it streamed so I rarely tune in for it.

I'd say for you though, the issue is that you've been pretty niche recently. Amiga games have minority appeal (Although I really like them), RoN is good just once or twice for most people etc. There's nothing really wrong with that, but it does mean most viewers won't be paying attention or won't be directly interacting.

Speaking of interaction, I think long RPG projects stifle interest, especially if you have a huge latency while you leave descisions up to the players/chat. It's just really hard to make dialogue boxes and menus interesting.

dopefish wrote:
I do feel like we've perhaps dropped a bit in overall viewcount recently, perhaps we should start advertising wider.

I suspect people are still tuning into twitch and don't know about Hitbox yet. I remember once a guy came into chat asking why we never went live on LS once. We're not really leveraging the YT audience either (although I guess the question is if you want them as viewers)

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:14 pm 
Gold Member

I pretty much only bother tuning in when I find the game interesting, and that doesn't really happen that much.
Not you specifically SS, but it feels like every stream that happens in this community for a long time now is dark souls or dark souls 2

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:38 pm 
Gold Member

I've always felt like chat does their own thing when they feel like it. I've also found that streaming early in the morning (EST) the chat will be more active than they are when I've streamed late at night (Also EST). I don't mind though, there's usually one or two people interacting with me when I stream, and when they don't, I keep on doing my thing.

I understand your point though, SoulSilver, does feel awkward when you're streaming and talking and you get no reaction from anyone, but yeah. I think timezones play a big part in it, but ah well. Not much to be done.

Current Projects
  • Odin Sphere

Future Projects
  • Dream
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:01 am 
Regular

As a viewer, I usually watch a good 5-10 minutes of stream while being 'alive' in chat to test the waters and see if I'll enjoy watching. Interact a bit, poke around, y'know. Might be cause I'm new. If I'm not very interested, I do fall into the habit of using stream as white noise while browsing or even just tune out entirely if its just not for me.

But like the others have mentioned, that just comes with territory. At any time, even at peak, only around a 4th of your 'total' audiance'll tune in and be alive.

With the off topic discussion WHILE streaming, I agree it does leave a bitter taste in your mouth. I'm guilty of it myself at times. The streamer or someone in chat will bounce a topic off someone and it'll just kick up super quick, and the background noise of the streamer kinda acts as a buffer to keep the wheels turning in conversation. Vicious cycle.

Whats really fucked is when no one answers a streamer. Saw a bit of that last night, and it can be a number of things to: disinterest in the game, commentary, or again a rampant discussion. Being outright ignored after several addresses though is just plain rude and you're right to be upset about that, in my opinion.

Not something to end streaming over, its still plenty fun and rewarding putting yourself out there. Theres definitely gonna be slow or sour days, you just gotta power through for the good ones.

"The roof may not be my son, but I will RAISE IT."

Steam: Danofthetubes

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:27 pm 
Gold Member

Thanks for all your replies guys, I'll definitely take into consideration as much as I can. Feel free to keep posting if you have any more comments. Anything that could help improve this for yourselves and myself is always welcome.

Its good to know people are watching, thanks guys

Current List

Space Crusade Atari ST, Icewind Dale 2 PC,Terranigma SNES, Persona 3:FES PS2 , Crusader: No Regret, Star Control 2 PC, Yakuza 4, Yakuza: Dead Souls, Quest for Glory 1-5

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Soulsilvatdope

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:39 pm 
Regular

Yeah, having the stream as background noise isn't really what I am looking for, but often it just ends up like that. While the amiga/dos streams are sometimes funny, often they will end up boring. You try to remedy that by engaging the chat, without results. I have witnessed this.
You often address people who are active in chat, but not tuned in. That is understandable as the chat is supposed to be used to discuss the stream, but there are still people who are not interested in the stream and talk about something else. I think that is a bit disrespectful towards the streamer. I personally keep the stream open if I discuss something else in the chat in case the streamer wants to participate.
I enjoy your streams, sakura spirit was funny, dos/amiga games were fun but too much is too much. I really didn't follow your shadow warrior and RoTT streams because those are not the kind of games I personally enjoy watching.
Overall your streams are fine. You should take up a project that is easier for people to participate in, since you are the kind of streamer who is after that.

Report this post

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 16 posts ]