Register or log in.

join our community today!

Home Page Home Page  [ 12 posts ] 
  Print view | E-mail friend
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Computer frequently crashing
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:39 am 
Regular

I am in school on the software side of the "IT" spectrum, so I don't know a damn thing about hardware.

But here's my problem.
Lately, I've been getting those blue screen crashes. And normally, it will happen when I'm actually doing something, and I thought it had to do with my graphics card over heating somehow, but the other day, I was sitting on the other side of the room, and I could see that my computer had crashed. While it was just sitting idle. The computer is also horribly slow on start up, and it's generally slow all together. Tonight I was playing Trine 2 with a friend on Steam, and he was loading into levels about 3 times faster than me. (We both have the exact same internet provider and speed since we live only a few miles apart)

Now, in terms of hardware, I know enough to know that this computer is a piece of crap, but I don't think it should be that bad. It's just under 3 years old.
Hardware includes:
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 528MHz
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (I know this card is ****)
Motherboard: DELL Inc. 0X501H

I'm planing to pick up an ATI Radeon HD 6850 for Christmas, and a friend has told me that the new card should get rid of all of my problems.. I find it hard to believe, so I'm asking for a second opinion, I suppose.

Oh, and if you're wondering how often these crashes occur, they vary in frequency, but on average I would say once or twice a month.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Computer frequently crashing
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:05 pm 
Gold Member

I used to have a similiar BSOD problem, until Boulderbro told me that turning off hardware acceleration on Adobe Flash Player solved it. (right-click on the livestream screen to bring up options, make sure the tick under 'enable hardware acceleration' isn't there)

Don't know if it will work for you, but certainly did for me since most of my BSOD'd was happening while attempting to watch the livestream.

Dopelives Livestreamer 2009-2016 (I finally beat HOGS!). I have returned on 17th June 2017 to livestream here once more!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/JohnSuitepee
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnSuitepee
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:50 pm 
Regular

I'll definitely give it a shot. I suppose dopelives was probably running on another tab when it crashed all by itself.
Let's hope it makes a difference. Thanks, Suite

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:30 am 

Download this if you haven't already.

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Run it after you restart from a bluescreen and you should find out whats wrong if its a driver related issue.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:56 pm 
Regular

Well I thought Suitepee's idea had fixed it, since it was being good for a while so I didn't download that program, but it's crashed twice in three days. So I'm going to download that WhoCrashed thing in case it does happen again.

It crashed once again while it was sitting idle and doing nothing (the internet might have been running), and it crashed today while I was just typing.

Really not sure what the **** is going on, but I'm defragmenting, and I'm going to do a virus scan. My computer claims to be scheduled to defrag every night at 1 a.m. but I'm usually up and on the computer at 1 a.m. and I have never noticed it doing anything. And I've only manually defrag'd twice, and it always takes a really long time. Which leads me to believe that it's actually not doing it when it says it is. I'm really not even sure if that's going to help at all, but I may as well do it. Hopefully defragmenting or the virus scan will help.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:57 pm 
Gold Member

I once had a similar problem, can't remember if I actually had BSOD or just freezing, but it turned out that I had a faulty HDD. During the last days before replacing it, it made a clicking noise every time the PC froze, meaning that it was a physical problem.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:46 pm 
Regular

Hmm.. I haven't noticed any sort of clicking, but I wouldn't be surprised if the computer had faulty parts. I may just take it into a shop somewhere and have someone look at it.

Virus scan turned up with nothing, and the defrag thing took a long time, but as far as I can tell it's worked. So if the problems continue, I may just have to have the thing checked out.

Anyway, thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

EDIT: Case closed. It was apparently the power supply.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:59 am 
Regular

Double posting like a ***, but since I don't know **** about computers, I have another question.

I replaced a tiny *** graphics card with a huge one, and a 475W power supply with a 600W one, but my computer is getting ridiculously hot from playing games. Even smaller games like Trine 2. My question is: Is this because I don't have enough RAM? 4GB doesn't seem like a whole lot for a big graphics card and a new power supply.
I've no problem upgrading a bit if that's the issue.

Idle temperature sits around 40, gaming temperature gets to 60-70 depending on the game.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:08 am 
Regular

[quote="Grid`"]Double posting like a ***, but since I don't know **** about computers, I have another question.

I replaced a tiny *** graphics card with a huge one, and a 475W power supply with a 600W one, but my computer is getting ridiculously hot from playing games. Even smaller games like Trine 2. My question is: Is this because I don't have enough RAM? 4GB doesn't seem like a whole lot for a big graphics card and a new power supply.
I've no problem upgrading a bit if that's the issue.

Idle temperature sits around 40, gaming temperature gets to 60-70 depending on the game.

I uh..what? I really don't think RAM amout affects your temperature.
You just have a bigger, more powerful graphics card now. They tend to produce more heat. If you want to cool it down, you could replace the fan on it with a third-party cooler for it. You could also check if the airflow in your computer is alright, so nothing's blocking the vent holes etc.

60 to 70C isn't that bad though. My laptop can get to around 100C and works fine.

This is not my signature, this is just a tribute.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:46 pm 
Regular

Ehh like I say I don't know much in terms of hardware. I had a hard enough time installing my own graphics card. A friend told me that more RAM would lighten the load on my core, therefore making it less hot. (?)

And I don't know if it's the same for all parts, but I had a hell of a time finding a power supply that would fit in my case. They're all too small. The one in there now is too small even. It leaves a bit of a gap between the case and the power supply. But I'll go ahead and look by the fan to see if there's anything blocking/clogging it. Thanks.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:20 am 
Regular

Grid` wrote:
A friend told me that more RAM would lighten the load on my core, therefore making it less hot. (?)

Think of it like this: Your computer is a kitchen.
The cook is the CPU, he works on things.
RAM is the kitchen table(short term storage). It doesn't take much time for the cook to grab something from the desk and work on it and put it back.
Disk space (hard drive space, etc.) is the fridge (long term storage). It's slower than using the desk. Usually it makes sense to take the stuff from the fridge, on the desk, and put it back in the fridge when you're done working with it.
The more RAM you have, the more stuff you can have working, in progress, at once. Or maybe a bigger project (say, heavy duty photoediting or video processing and so on). But if your cook (CPU) is slow, it's still going to be working on it slowly, eventhough you have it all ready and laid out at once.
You can think of a graphics card as a special type of chef, who has his own smaller working table and he's specialized in doing only certain things (graphics) but really fast.
TI might be stretching the analogy, I'm no expert, but I hope it helps you figure stuff out a bit.

You've got 4GB of RAM and I'd say that's enough. You can open up task manager and see how much you're using. If you're just playing games and browsing things etc., I doubt you'll fill it up.

All in all, I'm not sure if your friend knows what he's talking about.

This is not my signature, this is just a tribute.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:59 am 
Regular

It says it's about 50% right now and all I'm doing is two tabs of google chrome and Photoshop lol.

But anyway, my thinking was more like.. My "chef" has the potential to cook really quickly, he just doesn't have enough counter space (RAM) to work on, therefore he's forced to go slowly..? I'm not sure if my CPU is slow or not... but I just figured that all of the newer ones had the potential to be fast. It's i7 at least.. Not sure if that really means anything though lol

Anyway, I've ended up buying a new case, and I plan to have everything transferred over to that one. I've only got a single fan in my current case, and almost no "breathing" space otherwise. It's basically a solid piece of sheet metal. So this new case has 2 built in fans, and room for 3 or 4 more. So hopefully that helps.

But thanks Block, I appreciate the help.

Report this post

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 12 posts ]