http://dopelives.com/

Register or log in.

join our community today!

Home Page Home Page  [ 3 posts ] 
  Print view | E-mail friend
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Kicks, Rules and the Moderators
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:02 pm 

I've wanted to make this post for a long time now, but I never gave enough fucks to actually go through the effort of doing it, partly because of the backwards attitude some people seem to have towards this stuff, and partly because in the end it isn't THAT big of a deal, however, after getting kicked today for the umpteenth time for what I would consider mostly no reason, I felt it's time, and based on the.. discussion.. people were having in the chat during, and after the incident, I feel I'm probably not the only one who feels this way, so h-here I go. I will discuss both the specific incident, and the moderation in the chat in general.

Earlier today, I came across a facebook post about guns, and a dailymail article about said poster shooting up her family and so on, nasty stuff, the content was good, so I posted both the links in the chat, as I assumed people would find them interesting, like I did. This was followed by a comment from Rumia, and being the master of banter I am, I told him to **** off like I would have anyone else commenting what he did, since while dailymail is a rather questionable site in itself, I feel the article in question was well made, and at least at a glance, a good article. This was followed by a kick from the channel, with the kick message "NO U".

The Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1059950680724324&set=a.261193093933424.75631.100001282070701&type=3
Article in question: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3659694/Mother-42-killed-police-fatally-shot-two-daughters-aged-22-17-family-dispute-spilled-residential-street-Houston.html
The whole situation captured: https://i.gyazo.com/96877a18a5daa530ef7c02da0c23bc76.png

Rejoining the channel, not quite agreeing on the situation, I promptly told Rumia to **** off again, and was promptly kicked again
https://i.gyazo.com/6cb51efc5462910e8b3a56285478ebb3.png

With another senseless kick message, I decided to wait a minute or two before rejoining, quite pissed at the situation, and rejoining, I see this
https://i.gyazo.com/bcaa8cedea3cf830e8db3fe37b7462ed.png

It would seem I was not alone in thinking the article seemed decent, assuming he was talking about the article I linked. There were some arguments thrown around by everyone, and I don't feel like capturing every single relevant piece of text, my point remains more or less the same. I've copypasted the logs from my IRC, so you can look through the whole thing yourself, probably search "plaaplaa" and "Rumia" for the best bants, "Ezid" and "Holkin" for trolling ********, "FormerlyDave" for a opinion, "Yadde" and "arch" for reasonable(?) discussion/comments.
http://pastebin.com/LZZaEKAp

The point I wanted to get across is there should be clearcut rules for what is allowed, and what isn't allowed, I've had some arguments about this before, with Booom3 for instance, about how shitty the rules coverage is, and while I agree with him that not every single case and thing can be listed in the rules, there are definitely clear cases where things should be listed in the rules, such as sites that get you kicked without warning for linking. I'm personally not a big fan of banning sites outright, and would much more prefer judging things based on their content, I think the article I linked was at least decent, and I've certainly seen good content from shitty sites, such as vice, gawker, kotaku, and so on, but if people are of the opinion that these things are an absolute no-go, regardless of the content, then it should be in the rules.

This brings us to my main topic of discussion, enforcing the rules themselves. I believe that in the few years(?) I've been active on the channel, I've gotten kicked maybe 10-15 times, maybe more, maybe less. Out of these kicks I believe maybe 3-5 have been justified kicks, or if not justified per se, at least following the "proper" procedure, i.e Warn, kick, ban - In that order. I got banned once outright without warning, but in hindsight I believe it was a justified ban, as I was being a ****. (posting spoilers and whatnot). The vast majority of my kicks have been joke kicks, with the remaining kicks being just.. out of spite from the mods?

I don't enjoy having to tiptoe around mods, trying to figure out what they find acceptable, and what they don't. It doesn't happen often, but every now and then I find myself not commenting on something, because I know I'll get joke kicked, and that shouldn't happen, ever. It's not exactly a big deal when it happens, I can just rejoin chat, but if I'm trying to follow a discussion, or even if I just don't want to miss people linking fluffy animals, it gets really fucking annoying, really fucking fast.

If the rules were a bit more clear on what is or isn't allowed, and the mods actually followed them, none of this **** would happen. I know there are some questionable cases, and I know everyone has a bad day sometimes, but generally speaking this stuff should be really simple, and I don't think I'm the only one who thinks the mods are fucking around a bit too much, despite the epic maymays going around after every jokekick and general fuckery.

As a closing note I should mention I'm not very good at articulating my opinions, and not a very good writer in general, but I think I got my point across, and while I might come across as a bit hostile at times, I think my heart is in the right place. Writing this whole thing up took way fucking longer than I want to admit, and it still came out looking like it was written by a 12yo, and I still didn't really say everything I meant to, but this is as good as it's going to get.

TL;DR: mods pls stop fucking around. https://i.gyazo.com/526ed18899e0ad1a2cc83f1926cba48e.png

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Kicks, Rules and the Moderators
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:50 pm 
Gold Member

Alright, well I'm sorry plaaplaa for being the final straw, I didn't know you were getting kicked a lot or that it was getting irritating.

Initially I wasn't gonna kick at all, regardless of what newssite was linked, I just felt that the "**** off" was a little too aggressive and stubborn.
However, and I knew this beforehand, I'm meant to warn before kicking. So what I should have done was say "Plaaplaa chill" instead of just kicking. But in retrospect it wasn't really anything worth a kick anyway.

I don't want to make anybody feel like they have to worry about what they can link to or what they can talk about, so everybody can take it from me that I'm not gonna kick for using the wrong sources. And within reason I'm not gonna stir up **** over contraversial blogs or newssites, although at the same time I'm not going to be going out of my way to prevent anybody from objecting to them.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Kicks, Rules and the Moderators
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:17 pm 
Gold Member

To clarify my stance on this issue, and I came in a bit after all this stuff happened. I was just fine with discussion of the article itself and its contents. But the discussion wasn't really about that at the point that I got into it, it was more about criticism of moderation and as a general rule that is why we have this forum or we settle disputes outside of main chat in some other way (TNGF!!!). And I still stand behind my position that once it seemed like it was starting to be a **** storm to start warning and laying out kicks.

No comment on the original incident.

Report this post

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 3 posts ]