join our community today!

Home Page Home Page  [ 40 posts ] 
  Print view | E-mail friend
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Moderator Rules and Applications
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

All discussion goes in: this thread.

If you're not using a real IRC Client there are a few commands you must know for moderating:
Kick - /kick <#channel> <nickname> <reason> - /kick #dopefish_lives Viewer033 Stop posting that shit over and over again.
Ban - /ban <#channel> <nickname> <reason> - /ban #dopefish_lives Viewer423 Refused to listen to warnings, kept posting the same shit over and over.

Topic - /topic <#channel> <topic> - /topic #dopefish_lives Streamer: Dopefish | Game: Red Alert 2 | Happy 32rd birthday Po.

Rules as a moderator:
  • Warn, Kick, Ban; in that order.
  • Always be clear with warnings, but don't flaunt with your +o, don't intimidate, try to be friendly.
  • Always put a real kick and ban reason.
  • You are not allowed to kick or ban "for fun", all of your kicks and bans must be serious ones. Don't joke kick.
  • Never kick or ban someone for having a different opinion than you do.
  • If you think someone is trolling or shitposting, tell them to drop the subject, if they keep going: see rule 1.
  • Never change the topic trying to be "funny".
  • Do not give any one +v, +o, -v or -o. **
  • Be aware that your +o can be stripped from you at any time if you decide to abuse it.

**Never +o someone who says he's a streamer or moderator, don't voice people (not even regulars) during +m etc.[/sup]

Don't bother applying to become a moderator if you haven't been around for at least 3 months.

Application Template:
Code:
[color=#00FF00]Stream Nickname:[/color]

[color=#00FF00]Auth Nickname:[/color]

[color=#40FF00]Have you read and understood the rules?:[/color]

[color=#40FF00]Why would you make a good moderator?:[/color]

[color=#40FF00]Which IRC Client do you use?:[/color]

[color=#40FF00]Do you know how to kick, ban and change topic?:[/color]

[color=#40FF00]Do you promise not to abuse your +o in any way, shape or form?:[/color]

Don't post in this thread unless you're applying; discussion goes in: this thread.

http://dopelives.com

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Moderator Rules and Applications
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:59 pm 
Regular

Stream Nickname:
Papa-Smurf
Auth Nickname:
Papa-Smurf
Have you read and understood the rules?:
Yes
Why would you make a good moderator?:
Well hopefully I've been around long enough that most people know me, Well I'll provide Moderation cover for the streamers, meaning more focus on streams, while also helping and aiding any newer viewers to the stream. I'm currently available most of the time as no current work contract, so would be willing to pull some late nights to hold the line in the transition stage from European audience to American audience. I've spent my working life working closely with clients and members of the public so I feel I would be able to use my experience in this field to provide fair and flexible moderation for the chat. I'd like to use this opportunity to give something back to a stream that has given so much to me and basically help out where I can to both the streamers and the viewers.
Which IRC Client do you use?:
Currently using the standard Java chat, but if the need arises, I will have no problem moving over to an IRC Client
Do you know how to kick, ban and change topic?:
Yes
Do you promise not to abuse your +o in any way, shape or form?:
I will uphold the rules of the stream while using the appropriate level of moderation

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

We (the streamers) have been discussing the issue for a while, and we approached Papa-Smurf with the offer of becoming our first non-streamer moderator not too long ago. We feel that he is the most mature and level-headed person around and that he would make an excellent moderator. Your application is approved Smurf, welcome aboard.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 am 
Site Admin

I've removed all the posts except Smurf's application. Re-opening applications for moderator. We're looking for someone who is kind and understanding but not afraid to put his foot down. Basically we're looking for Papa Smurf 2.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:37 pm 
Gold Member

Stream Nickname:
GUTSMANG/GUTSMANSASS
Auth Nickname:
GUTSMANSASS
Yes.
I've been part of the community for some time now, watching people come and go. I noticed how the chat is calm during the week, a peaceful disscussion among regulars during the day. However, as the day goes on, I notice the chat slowly drop in quality during the night, as more and more people come in. They are like sheep, and if they are not kept inside and under guidence, sheep can cause chaos. Sheeps need shepards. Shepards to watch over them, to keep them from fighting, stealing their food, and cleaning up after them. I wish to become one of these shepards.
Spoiler:
I'll probably. edit this later and come up with something better.

Currently using java chat, But I switch to Xchat when I'm doing something else or when java chat is being java chat.
Yes.
I, GUTSMANSASS, solemnly swear that I am not BoomerI MEAN going to abuse +o.

Spoiler:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:40 pm 
Gold Member

Stream Nickname:
SLASHCAPS, CASHSLAPS

Auth Nickname:
Slash-Caps

I have

"Hipsterness", Scriptip kicking and association with assholes aside, I can do some good when it comes to moderation. If there's rule breaking, explanation is need. If there is need for a kick, explanation will be given. If a ban, same again. This is what the moderation team is currently lacking, this is what can prevent further rule breaking and this is what I aim to do. Also, I don't need 3 paragraphs to explain why.

X-Chat 2

I'm sure I've made this obvious before.

Of course.

Spoiler:

Last edited by SLASHCAPS on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:49 pm 
Gold Member

Stream Nickname:
Bob_Saget
Auth Nickname:
Nashmere (since someone thought it'd be a good good idea to Q ban my old one >:()
Done and done.
Well, it's hard to say in advance that one will be a good and awesome moderator. I do have to say that it makes me sad when the quality of the chat plummets and no one is around to deal with it. It's even worse when someone is streaming and they have to interrupt their quality time to clean up the chat.

I'm applying so that I don't have to ask any of the other mods to sort out the chat, and I could do it myself instead. Being around since the stream kicked off back on Livestream and being in IRC since we switched to it from day one will work to my advantage as well I guess. By now I know what mostly is going on in the chat and what is tolerated.
mIRC + NNScript
I do.
I'd be a hypocrite if I would because it pisses me off when people try to be be funny with their kicks/bans or when they are unjustified. So, the answer is yes.

Quote:
Sometimes the riff is just so fucking good that you just want to hear it over and over and over again. Sometimes for 52 minutes.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:00 am 

Stream Nickname:
Volture
Auth Nickname:
Volture
Yes, I have.
It seems the chat has its ups and downs when it comes to the behaviour of its users and I'd like to be there and help moderating the chat when it reaches that down-point.
Even though most (regular) users in the chat have a great personality and will let people know when they get annoying themselves, they will always lack the power to take action, apart from just notifying a moderator who may not always be present at that time. I think I have good enough judgment to decide when to warn, kick or ban someone.
Of course, saying that I will be a good moderator or not isn't really up to me I think, but up to the members.

(I just made this forum account, but have been on the chat for about 5 months now and have been lurking for a while longer.)
mIRC.
I do.
Without a doubt, yes.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:37 pm 
Gold Member

Stream Nickname:
Yadde

Auth Nickname:
Yada

Yes

Why would anyone be a good moderator? To be honest I'm not a better candidate than any of the other regulars and oldfags since joking, attentionwhoring and fooling aside pretty much everyone of them would be more or less a suitable moderator. Most of the people in the chat already know my personality, so I won't write a wall of text how I'm calm and never spam and everyone likes me. The reason I'm applying is to offer one more option to provide help on maintaining some degree of peace and balance during my free time and while on a computer class. The other reason I'm applying is that since I'm majoring programming in my school (with poor succes) I've taken a tiny interest in coding scripts on my client, and being a moderator would give me an opportunity to try something new.

However, this is not a matter of life and death for me. Even though I would be happy to be a moderator I will not get mentally depressed for being ignored.

mIRC

Yes

Aside from obvious jokekicks? Yes

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:55 am 
Regular

Stream Nickname: Skwid

Auth Nickname: Skwid

Have you read and understood the rules?: Yes

Why would you make a good moderator?: Because I'm almost always there, and I'm usually most active during streamer downtime when there's little to no moderation. I also moderated for several chatrooms on another IRC server so I'm not unfamiliar with the position. I've also been here long enough that I don't you need to be afraid of me spazzing out and trying to ban everybody.

Which IRC Client do you use?: Xchat

Do you know how to kick, ban and change topic?: Yes

Do you promise not to abuse your +o in any way, shape or form?: Yes

Current Projects: None

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:14 am 
Regular

Stream Nickname:
verzus
Auth Nickname:
verzus
Yes I have.
Well that's kind of hard for the applicant to say. In a situation like this you would most likely speak good of yourself. But I won't blabber about how good I am and how I've done this and that. Instead, if I do get to be part of the top tier cleaning squad I can do no more but to promise I will do my best.
The rest is up the community.
mIRC with NBS-IRC
Yep yep yep
Absolutely not. Wink wink

#smurf2014

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:05 am 

Stream Nickname:
mlxlg (madcaps)
Auth Nickname:
mlxlg
Yes on both accounts
Although i'm not always participating in the chat, I've always got my eye on it. I have been around long enough to know what constitutes a problematic viewer as opposed to a new(er) viewer who doesn't really know the community yet/at all. Most regulars already do a great job of holding down the fort, but some moderation does need to respond quicker at times. There's a gap between what irks regular viewers and how mods previously handled those doing the irking. I think Papa-Smurf has really tackled that problem. Also, i'm on during night hours (GMT-5) which tend to be a downtime - meaning it's more noticeably annoying when there's yelling at the AP and subsequent spamming.

I don't entirely agree with what has been said in the chat or the forums on this topic, but I'm diplomatic and level-headed enough to know what's what - qualities I think necessary for such a thing (e.g. Papa-Smurf).
Pidgin's IRC function.
Yes.
Fairly simple thing to make sure of, yes.

I am incapable of growing a mustache due to poor (read: french) genes.
Once madcaps

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:57 pm 
Gold Member

Stream Nickname:
NotoriousPyro
Auth Nickname:
See above.
Yes, they are the rules I also follow in TeamSpeak.
I think I'm pretty fair in TeamSpeak, so I believe I would be just as fair in chat. I never ban out of frustration, or hate of a person. I'm level-headed and fair to all - I'm neutral. I've also run a chatroom belonging to RaGEZONE for their WoW server a few years back, there I moderated around 100 concurrent IRC users.
XChat 2.
Of course.
I believe my TeamSpeak moderation is enough to answer this question. I will not abuse +o, just like I do not abuse my TeamSpeak admin.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:26 am 

Stream Nickname:
HerpaDerp
Auth Nickname:
Derp.
yes i have read and i understand the rules.
I would make a good moderator because, i wouldn't kick or ban people for no reason, if someone done something bad i would give them a warning and if they keep going i would go further, im always on dopelives.com i think its just a addiction, and i have been around this website for just over 1 year and a half.
I am Using the standard java chat.
yes i do.
I promise.

Thanks. :)

DEY TOOK OUR JOBZ!
DERKA DERR!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:40 am 
Gold Member

Stream Nickname:
Doniac
Auth Nickname:
Doniac
Yes.
I don't really take sides (That is, I wouldn't ban someone because I disagree), I got social competence and I'm pretty much always here. Only reason I'm doing this is because we have no mods and a guy was acting like a ****** for like thirty minutes without **** happening. I've also been here ages so I know how **** works. I feel that I'm a good choice, maybe not Papa-good but who the **** is. Or Bob, bob's good too.
mIRC.
Pretty much, atleast with the automatic mIRC menu. I also got a tutorial open right now that I'm looking at.
As I said, I don't take sides that much and I don't give a ****. I pretty much always wait to hear peoples explanations etc before wanting them gone. I also pretty much always treat new people good as I don't know them so I wouldn't know they're retarded or not - I've noticed far too many people treating every new person like **** just because they've been here for a few months themselves.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:32 am 
Regular

Stream Nickname:
Seagull

Auth Nickname:
Seagull-

Yes.

Because I have a long history of pointing viewers in the right direction. I can often be found at night pointing people in the right direction so they don't run afoul of the rules.

Usually the Java client. I'm proficient in mIRC. The only reason I don't use it is for convenience. I can adjust these habits if I am granted moderation powers.

Yes. I've been using IRC on and off since 2005 or so.

Yes. Although I think non-streaming moderators should have +h (%) instead of +o support so that viewers can make the distinction more easily in the chat.

Thanks.

<BokuBoku> Hi-Im-Greg I have a question about your penis

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Seagull wrote:
Yes. Although I think non-streaming moderators should have +h (%) instead of +o support so that viewers can make the distinction more easily in the chat.

Thanks.

No such thing as halfops on Quakenet.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:45 am 
Regular

dopefish wrote:
Seagull wrote:

Thanks.

No such thing as halfops on Quakenet.

Oh, fair enough, then.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:34 pm 
Regular

I figured with the couple of 24 hour streams coming up you might want a bit of extra manpower, and frankly I love this place and want to lend a hand wherever I can in the day to day of it. Now I've gotten off my arse and grabbed mIRC to sit idle in the chat all day, I thought I'd offer to be some use for something other than periodic dungeon delving. I would actually love to apply to be a streamer one day, there's certainly a lot of D&D games to get through, but as my connection is assbad and shared between three others right now that'd be impossible. So if you'll have me, I'd like to be a dedicated mod.

So, here's my application:

Stream Nickname:
Fateweaver

Auth Nickname:
Fateweaver

I have.

Well, I've moderated and been an admin in forums and chat rooms for 10 years now, once in a paid capacity, I even have references. I like to think I'm good at the job, plus I've been managing people since god knows when (working retail management and running my own gaming store.), hell I even do it for fun if you count DM'ing. I like to think I'm a pretty like-able guy too, but that's not my call to decide I guess. I can't think of anyone around that has a problem with me since I've poked my head above water though.
I also have no issue whatsoever with people PM spaming me any problems that are going on and will be dedicating a monitor to it in order to miss as little as possible.

mIRC. I'll be adding No Name Script to that shortly.

Yes.

Of course, may the will of the true gods smite me down should I abuse my new found divinity.

Thanks for reading and if you guys feel you're fine without an extra hand then fair enough, I'll see you for D&D where I will take out my petty revenge on Alphena.

Spoiler:

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:50 am 
Gold Member

Where the hell do you get paid to mod?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 am 
Regular

Rumia wrote:
Where the hell do you get paid to mod?

In Porn. I used to mod a fetish website's dedicated chatroom. Good money because no-one wants to do it and the ones that do generally aren't impartial because they're "into" it.

Spoiler:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:13 am 
Gold Member

Huh. How good is the pay?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:03 pm 
Regular

Good enough to live on and have a decent house in the city. I was paid in dollars through paypal and as our money was worth almost double theirs it actually worked out to be a lot even after being charged to convert it into £'s.

Spoiler:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone have any other comments about Fateweaver's application?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 pm 
Gold Member

Fateweaver wrote:
if you guys feel you're fine without an extra hand then fair enough, I'll see you for D&D where I will take out my petty revenge on Alphena.

I fully support the application. Please say yes, guys.

Current Projects
  • Odin Sphere

Future Projects
  • Dream
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:37 am 
Gold Member

Nothing against fateweaver personally, bt I dont really see why we need more mods, I havent seen any 'lack' of moderation in ages (as in no mods present to resolve a problem) so I fail to see why we'd need a new one.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:43 am 
Gold Member

A large yes to Fateweaver from me.

Hi.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:34 pm 
Gold Member

Jimmy wrote:
Nothing against fateweaver personally, bt I dont really see why we need more mods, I havent seen any 'lack' of moderation in ages (as in no mods present to resolve a problem) so I fail to see why we'd need a new one.

I don't really see the need in new moderators either, I mean sure there's perhaps a few odd hours that seem to not be moderated some times but at large I feel there's always a moderator present(or a streamer with moderation rights).
I simply just don't really deem it necessary, nothing against Fateweaver of course.

You should take this up with rest of the operators in chat though and discuss about it. (although I presume you've already done that though)

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:18 pm 
Gold Member

Don't think we need a new one but can't see why not since Fate has experience and all that.

Come on!

Spoiler:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:44 am 
Regular

I do say Yes for Fateweaver being a mod here, but I don't see the use for a new moderator since we already have both Yadde and boomer doing a great job already.

The only reason I could see for "hiring" Fateweaver would be if we let Skwid go, since Skwid doesn't do much in chat anyway.

try hard or die trying

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:51 pm 
Gold Member

JohnDaPro wrote:
I do say Yes for Fateweaver being a mod here, but I don't see the use for a new moderator since we already have both Yadde and boomer doing a great job already.

The only reason I could see for "hiring" Fateweaver would be if we let Skwid go, since Skwid doesn't do much in chat anyway.

Even though I agree with you that there is some streamers (not only Skwid) which really shouldn't be in their position anymore, I don't think that should be coupled to taking in a new mod or not. I mean saying 'we should only take in an active mod if we let go of an inactive mod' sort of seems weird because why not take in the mod anyway when there's a lack of modding? If you want to get rid of a certain streamer because you feel he's not in the right place, make a seperate topic about that, if people share your opinion they'll probably say so in that topic.

I think it's silly to hand a person mod status because he's well liked in the community even though there's no need for extra mods. I'd love to hear some input from the backers to see what their take on this is though.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:19 pm 
Gold Member

Jimmy wrote:
I think it's silly to hand a person mod status because he's well liked in the community even though there's no need for extra mods. I'd love to hear some input from the backers to see what their take on this is though.

It's not all because he's well-liked, since he applied himself. In the short time I've been here I've noticed several moments where people were crying for a mod to ban someone. If anything, it can't get worse from adding another mod.

I'm very much for Fateweaver being a mod, he'd no doubt do a good job of it

I do Bass covers of stuff sometimes (http://www.youtube.com/user/GreenMiscreant)

"But won't that scare the kids?"
"There's nothing wrong with scaring kids!"

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:42 pm 
Gold Member

GreenMiscreant wrote:
. If anything, it can't get worse from adding another mod.

That is a very wrong statement, for each mod you add there's a chance of a person being banned that wouldn't be banned for the same reasons by another mod. Which in itself can cause more problems. On the topic of modding activity, even right now during Soul's 24 hour stream and earlier during Suitepee's I didn't see any moderation issues.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 pm 
Gold Member

I'm gonna support this one, even if it's just for an extra topic-changer.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

I've decided to decline Fateweaver's application at this time. I agree that we probably don't need another moderator right now, and the saying about the chefs and the broth feels appropriate. It seems that nobody has a problem with Fateweaver as a potential moderator though, so I'll keep him in mind if the situation arises where we need one.

Thanks for your input everybody!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:21 am 
Regular

I was just thinking with summer coming up a little more manpower at chat might be good.

Stream Nickname:

JohnDaPro

Auth Nickname:

JohnDaPro

I have both read and understood the rules.

I have been around here for almost 4 years now, and I have been active in chat for around two. And I most say it's been a good time, and I would like to be able to give back something to the community. I do already try to help the new users with the rules, how too behave and what not to do, but I don't like to go overboard with that since it feels a lot like "backseat moderating" which is something I try to avoid, and I can fully devote myself to it if I were to become a moderator here at Dopelives.

I am generally nice against everyone and I try not to judge people to fast. I like to help people, and I have no problems with being bothered over something like that.

I have also been a moderator for a Minecraft server but I got voted off because I banned a well known player because he was ruining the fun for new players.

X-chat 2

Eyup.

Eyupyup.

try hard or die trying

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:40 pm 
Gold Member

JohnDaPro has a terrible design, the short battery life greatly influences the overall productivity.
0/10 would not buy.

Also since the chat has reached the state of all year summer and its still going fine, now with Fateweaver here I dont see the need for more mods at the moment, he is doin a decent job.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:19 pm 
Gold Member

While we might not need another moderator at the moment I might as well put in the application now rather than later. It was a- who made me consider it when he wrote "[23:29:39] <@archdev> Dopefish__lives: why isn't Xphome a mod yet?" during the cooking stream yesterday.

Stream Nickname: Xphome.

Auth Nickname: Xphome.

Have you read and understood the rules?: Yes.

Why would you make a good moderator?: I spend most of my time in chat and consider myself one of the most active members in chat. I've had several gaming communities in the past that were made around my game servers and I've also been a forum moderator at FZ.se since 2008, so I have a lot of experience moderating.

Which IRC Client do you use?: KVIrc.

Do you know how to kick, ban and change topic?: Yes, I know the correct banmask to use too.

Do you promise not to abuse your +o in any way, shape or form?: Yes.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:47 pm 
Regular

I've posted here before but that was five years ago, so I reckon it's worth re-checking.

Stream Nickname: Seagull

Auth Nickname: Seagull-

Have you read and understood the rules?: Yes.

Why would you make a good moderator?: I'm in the chat regularly and I understand the rules well. I have a long history of introducing new members to the community and helping to engender a welcoming and constructive atmosphere for them.

Which IRC Client do you use?: mIRC

Do you know how to kick, ban and change topic?: Yes.

Do you promise not to abuse your +o in any way, shape or form?: Yes.

For the record, I know I'm the one who probably whines the loudest about politics in chat, but of course I'd never dream of abusing any mod powers granted to me in order to stem that.
The snail next to my name would be used only in the rarest occasion when havoc was being wreaked and the community found itself unable to sort matters out.
I've been on Dopelives.com a long time. I'm not about to start getting a reputation for misusing power or handling things badly.
Thanks for your consideration.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Seagull, could you grab me on IRC to discuss your application? Thanks.

Report this post

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 40 posts ]